These easy bagels are just 5 ingredients and are low carb, keto, gluten free and wheat flour free. 😉
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 3 large eggs divided (one egg is reserved for egg wash)
- 1 ¾ cups superfine almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- sesame seeds shredded cheese or everything bagel seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl. Melt in the microwave at full power in 30 second intervals. After each 30 seconds, stir cheese until cheese is completely melted and uniform (see photo above). This should take around 2 ½ minutes total. Do not try to microwave the full time at once because some of the cheese will overcook. You can also melt the cheese over the stove in a double boiler.
- Add cheese, 2 eggs (remember one of the eggs listed is for the egg wash finish at the end only), and almond flour mixture into a food processor with dough blade attachment. Pulse on high speed until the dough is uniform. The dough will be quite sticky, which is normal.
- Wrap your pastry board with plastic wrap until the plastic wrap is taut. You should have the plastic wrap running across the bottom of the board so that the weight of the board will help keep the plastic wrap in place. Lightly coat your hands with oil and divide dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each dough into ropes about 1 inch thick. The plastic wrap should keep your dough from sticking to the board. Form the rope into a circle and pinch the ends shut. Carefully place circle onto lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Place 4 bagels on each baking sheet. (The bagels should be placed about 2 inches apart. You can fit up to 6 on one regular half-sheet baking sheet. For the photos above, I made more than one batch which is why I put 6 bagels on each sheet.)
- Add the final egg to a bowl and whisk. Generously brush surface of bagels with egg wash. If you wish to add bagel toppings, add them at this time.
- Bake bagels for about 14-15 minutes in the middle rack of your oven, or until bagels are golden brown. When you touch the surface of the bagels, they should not collapse. I recommend baking the bagels one sheet at a time rather than trying to bake both sheets at once because it leads to uneven heat distribution and your bagels may not puff up properly. Allow bagels to cool on baking sheets before removing.
Nutrition FactsLow Carb Keto BagelsAmount Per Serving (1 bagel)Calories 298Calories from Fat 207% Daily Value*Fat 23g35%Saturated Fat 7g44%Cholesterol 104mg35%Sodium 313mg14%Potassium 222mg6%Carbohydrates 7g2%Fiber 2g8%Sugar 1g1%Protein 18g36%Vitamin A 400IU8%Calcium 465mg47%Iron 1.5mg8%Net Carbs 5g10%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.