An easy zucchini lasagna casserole with ground meat, onions, and tomato sauce. Keto, low carb, and gluten free. 😉
- 20 ounces zucchini (about 2 large or 3 medium, peeling is unnecessary)
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef (95% lean is ideal, no less than 90% to avoid a greasy wet dish)
- 15 ounces canned unsalted tomato sauce (check the ingredients label to make sure no salt is listed)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1 1/2 cups (5oz) shredded mozzarella cheese (I use low moisture part skim)
- 1/2 cup (2.2oz) finely grated parmesan cheese (should be powder-like, finer than sand)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
Making the meat sauce:
- Heat a high-sided pan over medium heat until hot (I use a 10-inch wide nonstick pan with 3-inch high sides). Add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground beef to the pan. Cook until it’s no longer pink, about 5 minutes, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Add tomato sauce, stirring it in. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then gradually reduce the heat as needed to maintain a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes to thicken the sauce, stirring frequently. The resulting sauce should be thick, easily clinging to the meat and onions; this helps reduce excess moisture in the resulting lasagna.
- Add oregano, salt, and cayenne. Stir for a minute until well-mixed. Turn off the heat.
Assembling and baking the lasagna:
- Position an oven rack in the lower half of the oven, and preheat to 375 F. Set aside an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- For each zucchini, slice off both ends and discard them. Stand the zucchini vertically on a stable flat end, and carefully slice along its length into 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick strips. Don’t worry if the slices aren’t perfect because it won’t affect the deliciousness of the lasagna.
- Arrange about one-third of the zucchini slices along the bottom of the baking dish so that they are slightly overlapping in a criss-cross pattern. Evenly spread about half of the meat sauce over the zucchini. Distribute about 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese on top of the meat sauce.
- Repeat with another zucchini layer, a meat sauce layer, and a cheese layer.
- Top with remaining zucchini slices. Add another 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese on top of the zucchini. Give the baking dish a quick shake so the cheeses spread out and settle into cracks.
- Bake at 375 F until the lasagna is golden brown on top, about 45 minutes. Let it cool for at least 15 minutes to allow the lasagna to set and cease bubbling before slicing.
Makes 4 Servings Amount Per Serving (quarter of 8×8 casserole):
Calories 430 Total Fat 23g 36% Saturated Fat 11g 57% Cholesterol 104mg 35% Sodium 1550mg 65% Net Carb 8g Total Carb 12g 4% Dietary Fiber 4g 15% Sugars 7g Protein 38g
Vitamin A 21% · Vitamin C 41% · Calcium 41% · Iron 23%