Eating this keto calzone is like enjoying the guilty pleasure of a personal pizza present without the empty calories! 😉
- 1 Low Carb Pizza Dough Recipe grab recipe here!
- 1/2 Low Carb Pizza Sauce Recipe grab recipe here!
- 1/2 Lb Italian Sausage casing removed
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced
- Make the pizza dough per recipe, and divide the dough into 2 balls. Set aside while you make the filling.
- In a large nonstick, cook the sausage until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you cook it.
- Place the sausage on a paper towel lined place and toss onions into the nonstick. Add oil if there isn’t enough grease left in the pan.
- Saute until onions are soft and translucent, about 10-12 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Roll 1 of the pizza dough balls between 2 sheets of parchment paper using a rolling pin, until the dough is about 7″ wide. You want the dough to be kind of thick, or else it will tear.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper.
- On 1/2 of the dough, spread a spoonful of pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the sausage, cooked onions, and shredded cheese. Don’t over fill your dough! Less toppings is better and will prevent the dough from tearing.
- Grab the edge of the parchment and fold the calzone dough in half, the peel back the top.
- Damped your hands, and crease the edge. I like to push the ingredients in toward the center to get more crust along the edge. With damp hands, you can also smooth out any tears that may have happened and make your calzone look pretty. I also used a spoon to trace between the crust and the calzone.
- Brush you calzone with olive oil, and pop it in the over for 22-25 minutes, or until the top become golden brown.
- Serve with extra pizza sauce, and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on 1/2 a calzone, if you make 2 calzones with this recipe.
Calories: 566kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 590mg | Potassium: 184mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 190IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 0.8mg