- ½ cup water
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups 1 lb salted butter
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups 16 oz blanched, slivered almonds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Grease a large baking pan with butter, set aside.
- Grease one side of a spatula with butter, set aside.
- Add water, sugar, butter, corn syrup and sea salt into a large, deep saucepan or pot (4 quart minimum capacity). Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- As soon as the butter is melted add the almonds.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula (that can withstand high heat) for about 45 minutes.
- As it cooks, the mixture will bubble and begin to thicken. You must stir constantly (i.e. do not leave the stove for 45 minutes).
- You will know your toffee is done when a few things happen: *The toffee becomes firm enough to form a shape when stirred with the spatula. *The mixture turns a darker brown *The almonds turn darker brown *The best way to check if the candy is done is using a thermometer to be sure it has reached 265 to 270 degrees F.
- As soon as your toffee reaches 265 degrees F add the vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Once the toffee is done, QUICKLY dump the mixture onto your buttered cookie sheet and spread it evenly with your buttered spatula.
- Pour the chocolate chips on top of the warm toffee. Let them sit for 5 minutes then spread evenly.
- Let the pan sit at room temperature for 24 hours or overnight.
- After 24 hours, break the toffee into pieces with your hands and enjoy! 😉
Serving: 2TBS | Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.6g | Protein: 1.4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 0.9g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 235IU | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 0.4mg