I’ve discovered the secret to making the BEST Air Fried Chicken Breasts that turn out tender, juicy, and loaded with delicious flavor! This fried chicken recipe is also a low carb keto recipe 🙂
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3.5 ounce pork rinds, crushed (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups when crushed)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 large chicken breasts, chilled & patted dry (approximately 2 lbs), split in half to make 4 thinner chicken breasts
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F
- If your chicken breasts are thick, slice in half through the middle like you would butterfly the chicken breasts only you go all the way through to make two thinner breasts. (Refer to picture #1 above)
- Create an assembly line of sorts to bread the chicken by laying out 2 containers and a baking tray with a rack.
- In one container add your egg mixture – 1 egg whisked with 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In the other container add your breading mixture – 3.5 ounce pork rinds, crushed (1 1/2 to 2 cups), 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, & 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Stir to mix well.
- Pat chicken dry. Dip one chicken breast in the egg mixture to coat both sides. Then dredge the coated chicken breast in the bread crumb mixture being sure to completely bread both sides. Place breaded chicken breast on rack in baking sheet until ready to air fry. Continue to bread all 4 pieces of chicken. TIP: Line the baking tray with foil for easy clean-up. (Refer to pictures #2 and #3 above)
- Brush the air fryer basket with oil or use cooking spray per directions for your air fryer
- Place breaded chicken in air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry for 14-16 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle and an instant read thermometer reads 150°F. Air fry remaining chicken in same manner until all chicken is cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
1. A food processor makes quick work of crushing the pork rinds, but you can also crush them in a baggie using your hands, a rolling pin, or a heavy skillet
2. For easy clean-up I lay paper towels under the containers at my breading station
3. Line the baking tray with foil for easy clean up. This will catch any breading crumbs that fall through the rack while breading the chicken
4. Be sure your chicken is chilled. Remove chicken from fridge right before you plan to bread it. This will help the breading stick
5. Pat the chicken dry before breading.
6. Be sure to place chicken in air fryer basket in single layer. DON’T STACK THE CHICKEN. If you stack chicken they will not get crispy.
7. When air frying the chicken, keep the air fryer closed. No need to turn the chicken or shake the basket when making air fried chicken breasts